Interested in Becoming a Taylor Police Officer?
No Experience? No Problem!
Go to Human Resources Employment Opportunities
When seeking applicants, as most civil service agencies and larger police agencies throughout the State of Texas, we seek all qualified applicants for police officer and police recruit positions, whether licensed as a Texas Peace Officer or not. Those selected for employment who are not yet licensed are sent to attend a regional police academy. Upon successful completion of the academy and passing the State licensing test, police recruits are then sworn in as probationary police officers.
Probationary Officers must then complete an intensive field training program and then continue on to successfully complete their 18 month probationary period prior to receiving full, civil service police officer status.
We're excited to add new officers to our experienced staff. Our police officers as of 04-23-08 currently average 13.86 years of law enforcement experience!
We Pay for Your Experience!
(year for year experience on pay chart for departments 15 or more officer, 1:2 for small departments)
- Get 3 weeks vacation (120 hours) after 1 year
- Earn 3 weeks (120 hours) sick leave after 1 year
- Get sick leave time paid of up to 720 hours upon separation
- All uniforms and equipment provided by the City of Taylor
- 12-hour shifts for Patrol where officers are off every other Friday, Saturday and Sunday
The Taylor Police Department operates under Chapter 143 of the Texas Local Government Code--Civil Service.
- Must be a minimum of 21 years of age and shall not have reached their 45th birthday.
- Must possess a high school diploma or G.E.D. with 12 college hours or be honorably discharged from the US Armed Forces.
- Must possess a valid Texas driver's license and have a good driving record.
- Must not have been convicted of a felony at any time or a Class B misdemeanor or above in the last 10 years.
- Must be a United States citizen.
- Must have an honorable discharge from the Armed Forces, if applicable.
Forms and Information
- Authorization for Release of Personal Information
- Authorization for Release of Liability - Physical Agility
- Physical Agility Test
- Civil Service Exam (scheduled on an as needed basis)
- Physical Agility Test
- Thorough and Extensive Background Investigation
- Oral Interview Board
- Physical Examination by physician
- Psychological Examination by licensed psychologist
Background Investigation A thorough background investigation is conducted on all eligible applicants.
Any misrepresentation or omission in the application or other forms will be grounds for rejection or dismissal.
Want to get notified of our next civil service examination? Sign up for notices!